As I was whipping up this delicious recipe in the kitchen, my daughter sat watching her favorite t.v. show when I hear…
Her: “Mami what is that? It smells so good?”
Me: “Arroz con pollo, linda.”
Her: “Hurry mami, I’m getting hungry!”
I cut, poured, stirred and set the table. As a working mom, having a nice home cooked meal can be strenuous after a hard days work. So this mom right here loves one pot meals? They’re fast, easy, and l can tend to other things as it cooks (like go through that stack of mail that stares at me every time I step foot into my apartment. Oy…)
Arroz con pollo (translation, rice with chicken) is a favorite in my Puerto Rican family for generations. My mom made it, her mother made it and her mother’s mother … you get the point right? LOL
BUT … yes, there’s a but … there’s a few buts.
Arroz con pollo traditionally calls for a whole chicken or chicken peices and since I wanted to make this recipe simple, I substituted the chicken legs and thighs for chicken breasts. Not only is it healthier, it’s less cook time too. I took the liberty of kicking this dish up a notch health-wise so I threw in a cup of frozen veggies in too. The veggies bring nutritional value as well as color! Bouillon is a key ingredient in my arroz con pollo so instead of the cubes, I used Mazola’s new sobrecitos! They dissolve instantly so I don’t have the fear of someone biting into a salty, undissolved cube.
VOILA! What do you think?
This dish was finger licking good! (Recipe below)
GIVEAWAY: (1) $25 Walmart Gift Card and a box of Mazola Sobrecitos!
Please visit the Mazola Facebook page and browse the recipes. Come back and leave a comment with your favorite pick! Go! 🙂
Additional Entry Options (Please leave a separate comment for each entry.)
- “Like” Mazola® Sobrecitos® on Facebook
- “Like” The Digital Latina on Facebook
- Subscribe to The Digital Latina by Email
- Follow The Digital Latina on Twitter and tweet the following: “I just entered @digital_latina’s Mazola #sobrecitos #giveaway to win a $25 Walmart gift card!”
**** This giveaway ends August 3, 2012 at 12:00 P.M. EST. This giveaway is open to US entries only. 18 and up.****
Give this a try. You’ll love it!
My Arroz Con Pollo Recipe (4-6 servings):
- 2 cups white rice (long grain)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Mazola corn oil
- 2 tablespoons alcaparrado or pitted olives with red pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (carrots, string bean and corn)
- 1 pinch cilantro
- 1 chicken flavored Mazola packet (for rice)
- 1 tomato and chicken flavored Mazola packet (for chicken as seasoning)
- Salt and pepper to taste (the salt is optional)** Note: Since Mazola sobrecitos are made with real sea salt, you may want to skip on the table salt in this recipe. I did.Directions:
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes. Season with Mazola’s tomato and chicken flavored sobrecitos. Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, on medium high heat, warm up the corn oil. Once the oil is nice and hot add the chicken (con cuidado que salpica!). Brown on all sides.
- Add tomato sauce, alcaparrado and the Mazola chicken flavored sobrecito the mix. Sautee for 1-2 minutes then add the water. Bring to a boil.
- Take a moment to rinse the rice. ( Yes, I rinse the rice but you don’t have to 🙂 LOL) *gives you the side eye*
- Add the rice and frozen veggies to the ingredients in the saucepan and stir. Keep an aye out on your rice till most of the water evaporates (about 80%) then cover and lower the heat to low.
- In about 20 minutes, the arroz con pollo should be ready. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Buen provecho y suerte!