A couple of weeks ago, I was very delighted to be a guest at the Johnnie Walker’s Father’s Day Master Class Event. It was a very intimate tasting that included the Master of Whisky, a tutorial on dad’s favorite food – grilled and smoked meats – from Top Chef, Dave Martin and a personalization bar where I engraved an unforgettable bottle of Johnnie Walker. The lovely Ruby (picture below) of Growing Up Blackxican covered this event beautifully. See her full coverage of the Master Class here.
Now you can create the same gift for that special father in your life…
This year, the makers of Johnnie Walker Blue Label asked a professional, a celebrated speechwriter, to help you create a gift for dad that he’ll never forget. Dan Gerstein, the founder of New York’s only world-class, full-service writing firm Gotham Ghostwriters, was tasked to come up with some tips on how to honor dads with a personalized message on a bottle of JohnnieWalker Blue Label.
Here’s what Gerstein has to say about celebrating dad. While his advice was specifically developed to help craft the perfect message in 45 characters or less on a bottle of the rare blended Scotch whisky, his tips are as applicable to a toast, tribute or any fete aimed at celebrating dad. Whether you want to recognize an endearing trait or an inspirational accomplishment, or simply trying to say how much you care, put down the tie and pick up these pointers:
1) KEEP IT TIGHT: Remember, you only have 45 characters to say something memorable. So think of your words as being precious as the gift you are giving — to be poured with care. Don’t worry about signing your name — write the right thing, and he’ll know who the gift is from. Focus on maximizing your message.
2) MAKE IT PERSONAL: A special gift like Johnnie Walker Blue Label deserves a special inscription. So leave the generic father’s day wishes to the greeting card people and show your dad you are thinking of him. It doesn’t matter whether you are serious, goofy, cryptic, or simple – just try to be original. Share some inside insight, like referencing his favorite team or the golf trip you took to Scotland together. The surest way to connect with him is to connect the message to you.
3) KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE: Most dads love Blue Label. But their other tastes can vary widely, particularly when it comes to matters of the heart. What sounds like corn pone to one man can sing like a tone poem to another. So don’t feel the need to meet somebody else’s expectations. If your dad appreciates wordplay, have some pun. If he’s more sentimental, play those heartstrings. Either way, just speak his language.
4) SHOW YOURSELF: Since you are striving to send a special message, it’s great to aim high. Should you be inspired to say something profound or witty, go for it. But it’s more important for your engraving to ring true as you. So as you are speaking dad’s language, make sure it’s with your accent. Use words and phrasing that come naturally and sound familiar. There’s a straight line from authentic to “awwwww. . . .”
5) STAY CLASSY: Your inscription should be special to you and your dad. But bear in mind that he may want to share his Blue Label – along with your message – and put it on display in the den or at the office for all comers to see. It’s fine to have some fun. Just be sure, as you have done your whole life, to make him proud.
Engraved bottles are available for purchase online at http://johnnie-walker-blue.1-
And remember, the best gift you can give your father is knowing that you are safe. Johnnie Walker reminds you to please drink responsibly.
Here’s what I chose to engrave on our special bottle:
Cheers to all the great fathers out there!
Disclosure: No monetary compensation was provided for this post. As a guest at Johnnie Walker’s Master Class Event, I recieved an engraved bottle for review purposes only. All opinions are my own. Please drink responsibly.
Images courtesy of Marcus Wright