It’s a beautiful day and Spring is almost here!
Sabroso Saturday, the online recipe blog hop brought to you by Ms. Latina of Latina of Latina On A Mission, couldn’t fall on a more beautiful day. Be sure to stop by her page and visit all the other wonderful recipes around the blogosphere!
Today I present to you a sweet recipe in honor of The Sweet Treat Apron Giveaway with a Daisy Martinez recipe that will remind you of the warmer days to come.
Churros are little Mexican crullers that are crispy and sweet on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Preparation is easy and the results will leave you with an empty serving dish.
Here you go!
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 to 5 eggs
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make the crullers: In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup water, the butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt over medium-high heat until the edges of the liquid start to bubble. Add the flour all at once and stir briskly with a wooden spoon until well mixed and no lumps of flour remain.
- Remove from the heat. Add 4 of the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon after each. The dough should look soft and glossy and keep a “hook” shape when the spoon is pulled from the dough. If not, beat in the last egg.
- Scrape the dough into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pour enough canola oil into a deep heavy skillet (cast iron is ideal) to fill 1-inch. Heat over medium heat until the tip of the handle of a wooden spoon gives off a slow steady stream of tiny bubbles. Carefully pipe the dough into the oil, forming 6-inch crullers. Pipe only as many crullers into the oil as fit comfortably. Overcrowding the pan will result in soggy crullers. Fry, turning once, until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Put the sugar and the cinnamon in a paper bag. Crimp the top and shake well to mix. Drop a few crullers at a time into the bag and shake until coated. Best served as soon as possible.
Makes 12-15 servings
Giveaway is now closed.
One (1) lucky reader will win this whimsical apron by Avon.
Mandatory Entry: Please leave a comment on this post telling me what treats remind you of the warmer days to come. That is all. Easy right?
For additional entries feel free to do any of the requests below to get one (1) extra entry for each.
- Like The Digital Latina on Facebook
- Follow The Digital Latina on Twitter
- Like Daisy Martinez’s Official Fan Page on Facebook
Must have a valid email address.
** This giveaway will end Friday, March 11, 2011 at 11:59 P.M. **
The winner will be chosen by random and announced on the next Sabroso Saturday (on March 12, 2011).
Sorry this giveaway is open for U.S. residents only.
Good luck and enjoy!