web analytics

The Bold & Beautiful Blogger’s Brunch @ Casa Daisy: A Look Inside Daisy’s Kitchen

February 21, 2011 17 Comments »

From Left to Right: Carolina, Ofelia, Daisy Martinez, Mimi, and Rachel

I must begin by saying I still cannot believe this event really happened.  Just a couple of days ago I got the once in a lifetime chance to cook alongside my cooking hero – The Latin Chef Daisy Martinez!  Daisy realized the vision of what The Digital Latina is all about.  Daisy brought to life the meaningful connection we had online into real life – personal experiences.

Daisy is even more beautiful in person and her personality is nothing but vibrant, sassy, and caring.  She calmed our jittery nerves down and assured us that our time with her would be that of a Titi y sus sobrinas (an Auntie with her nieces) on a Saturday afternoon.  She welcomed us into her beautiful kitchen and served us some freshly brewed coffee.  Y con una tazita de cafe (and with a cup of coffee) we started our lesson!

The warm colors of her kitchen walls make an inspired cook feel like there is no better place to be.  Early afternoon sun rays kissed the hunter green window panes and lit up the room as we opened up our cookbooks and began an unforgettable afternoon.  And there I stood in Casa Daisy, tightening my apron, soaking it all in.  Toppled with emotions of  excitement, nervousness, and happiness, I managed to stay focused.  Daisy made us feel right at home.

A Saturday morning like no other, to say the least, but I came prepared to watch, learn, and absorb as much as I could from an incredible Chef.  Her sweet laugh broke the ice and we were quickly getting down to business.

Daisy’s kitchen exudes family, love, and priceless amounts of embedded culture.  I stood in a place where some of the most intimate memories of my hero were shared, and there I was, making a set of new ones.  I still cannot believe it really happened.  Daisy invited us over for a cooking lesson and she left us with even deeper imprints of our love for culinary arts in our hearts and a lit up the fire beneath us and had us soar through a moment of pure inspiration.

Daisy not only gave me a priceless cooking lesson but words of wisdom.  She showed me the meaning of what it means to take charge of my dreams and to always remember to pay it forward!

The Menu:

Old School Stuffed Mussels

Sweet Plantain Stuffed Chicken Breast

Caraway Scented Sauteed Cabbage

Banana-Pecan Streudel with Dulce de Leche

Recipes and photos to come!

Stay tuned!

Stay in the know: Visit Daisy Martinez’s official website,  FacebookTwitter, and Youtube.

Photo Credits: JD_Urban of the Everyday People Project.

XO,

17 Comments

1. Hilda D'Archangelis February 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Rachel,

I read this and I swear, my reaction to reading the words, “of a Titi and her sobrinas,” struck me and my eyes watered. I could feel your every emotion of the day, the excitement, the nervousness but most of all, the gratitude. I followed the pictures that were posted and the video snippets of the day as I went along doing what needed doing. All I could think as I followed along was, “Damn those girls are so lucky!” But at the same time, I couldn’t help but feel so utterly happy for each and every one of you. What a great day that must have been.

• Rachel February 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Dear Hilda,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for following us through an amazing experience. So glad you enjoyed the snippets!

The Daisy Martinez you see on the screen is that EXACT same person in real life. She was truly a sweetheart. She is immensely talented and and it was an honor. I am blessed to have been chosen and even more happy that it touched you as well.

XO,
      Rachel

2. Daisy February 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm - Reply

You captured the mood of the afternoon perfectly, Rachel! I am still finding myself breaking into a smile everytime a moment comes up in my head! You girls are way too generous with your praise…it was a privilege to share my passion with you all. I could never hope for a more embracing and attentive audience.
    oxo
    “Titi” Daisy

• Rachel February 23, 2011 at 12:13 am - Reply

Dear Titi Daisy,

You are a true inspiration and have a beautiful soul. Thank you thank you thank you. I cannot thank you enough!

XO,
      Rachel

3. Yolanda February 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Rachel,
    Congratulations! Beautiful post filled with love, feelings, and inspiration. So happy that your dream came true.
    Blessings,
    Yolanda

• Rachel February 23, 2011 at 12:13 am - Reply

Dear Yoly,

Thank you for stopping by – it was truly something to remember! A dream come true!

Rachel

4. Lisa February 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm - Reply

What a beautiful recap of the day. Like I said before, well deserved. I don’t know any other person that deserved this experience other than you. So happy for you!! I can’t wait to read more!!! :)

• Rachel February 23, 2011 at 12:16 am - Reply

Dear Lisa,

Thank you mama! I am very grateful. God is good! more coming soon!

XO,
      Rachel

5. Catalina February 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. In reading your post, I could smell the cafe and feel the warmth of Daisy’s kitchen. She is one of my favorite chefs; you are so lucky!

• Rachel February 23, 2011 at 12:19 am - Reply

Dear Catalina,

Hola! Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you enjoyed my post. Daisy made it all happen and I am beyond lucky to have been there. I will post the recipes and stories soon, hope to see you again!

Best,
      Rachel

6. NYCPatty February 23, 2011 at 5:14 pm - Reply

You look absolutely thrilled to be there! I’m so glad to discover Daisy’s website through your post. I’m just discovering a love for cooking and am always on the look out for new recipes. I love your pictures!

7. Alexandra August 14, 2012 at 1:40 am - Reply

LOVE THIS!!!! yummmmmo

• Rachel August 14, 2012 at 2:02 am - Reply

It was SO YUMMMMMO! Thanks for stopping by this recipe. It was one to remember forever! :)