5 lbs whole chicken, or assorted pieces
10 cups water
1 white onion, diced
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
5 cilantro sprigs
Salt to taste
1 tbs oil
2 tbs white onion, diced
3 ¼ cups chicken broth
3 cups uncooked rice
Salt to taste
2-3 tbs oil or butter + 3 tbs butter
1 cup diced white onions
6 garlic cloves, crushed
4 oz pancetta or diced bacon
3 tbs finely chopped cilantro
2 tbs hot pepper powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp achiote powder
2 bell peppers (1 red and 1 green), diced
1 cup cooked peas
2 cooked carrots, diced (1 cup)
½ cup raisins
6 eggs, scrambled
7 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs Worcester sauce
3 tbs finely chopped cilantro/parsley
2 bunches scallions or green onions, finely chopped
Sides – avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, ketchup, curtido or pickled onions
- Bring the water, carrots, onions, celery and herbs to boil in a large pot, add the chicken and cook over medium heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and save the broth.
- To cook the rice, heat the butter, add the onions and the rice, stir well. Then add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile debone the chicken and reserve the chicken meat for later.
- Heat the first 2-3 tbs butter or oil over medium heat in a large pan to prepare a refrito or base for the chaulafan.
- Add the chopped onions, diced pancetta, crushed garlic, 1 tbs Worcester sauce, 1 tbs soy sauce, cumin, cilantro, hot pepper powder, and achiote powder; cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken meat, and diced bell peppers. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining soy sauce, remaining Worcester sauce, scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, raisins, mix well.
- Add the chopped herbs and green onions.
- Serve with avocado slices, aji or hot sauce, and ketchup (or spicy ketchup).
Enjoy and buen provecho!